I Gotta Feelin....

First off I'd like to apologize for not blogging for the past 2 weeks. Things have been changing gears with all the LEAP networking events, our intern project finally getting into full swing, and of course finally feeling at home at OCAPICA. I'll try my best to recount my time in the last couple weeks.

7/9 - "When I step into the room I stop feeling like an Asian American, and start to feel more like a complete human being."

After a short day of work at the CBO, I took a quick (not really) detour to Cal Poly Pomona for LEAP's Leadership Development Program for Higher Education hoping to gather some contacts and attend some workshops. After getting lost for a good half hour (damn you Google Maps!) I was able to catch the latter half of Pat Hiyashi's session on "Personal and Professional Exploration." Apparently he had a very compelling story as a former internee of the Japanese internment camps, but since I arrived late I couldn't quite piece together his story, which was unfortunate. In the brief 10 minute stint I heard, though, the above quote really seemed to stand out. I think this really ties to my experience being involved with so many API and ethnic-specific groups - this concept of familiarity, of comfort, of support in the midst not just other Asians, but like-minded ones. It gives you that warm tingly feeling inside. :)

Then what I thought would be a good networking opp turned instead into a delicious meal at a Filipino restaurant (my first time eating REAL Filipino food) with some higher ed administrators. The Provost of Seton Hall University (!!), whom I've had the honor of sitting next to paying for the meal. Being someone of such high status, he also showed his human side, too with some light hearted stories. For instance, when he was at his old post in Arkansas every time he to mow the lawn he had to make sure he had enough gas to hide and come back in case someone were to see him jeans. Just a reminder I guess that even though people are of high status, they are still inevitably human and need some private time, too. I do appreciate them allowing me, some overeager intern, to join their dinner. Linda, of course, was there to introduce me. Thanks Linda! I thoroughly enjoy car rides with you even though everyone says I should be thoroughly afraid. Hahaha.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment